Latest topics
» hello all
Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:41 am by Itsybitsy

» Members Forum Access
Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:14 pm by Ronab

» Holy Paladin (PPVKNIG)
Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:36 am by Guest

» Hunter MM Application.. Again :P (Accepted)
Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:29 am by Shadowhit

» Funny/good/lollong vids
Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:54 am by Kashah

» Eyara Discipline priest (Accepted)
Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:48 pm by Eyara

» manelin [shadow/Holy Priest] (Declined)
Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:53 am by Rigsby

» Non WoW related screens
Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:13 am by Guest

» Zabineth (shadow priest) (Accepted)
Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:15 am by Rigsby

Poll

Remove the forums we dont ever use?

71% 71% [ 5 ]
29% 29% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 7

Overclockers/Overclocking

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Overclockers/Overclocking

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:51 am

Anyone in the guild dabble in this really? Shiatan sort of does through the medium of another man lol, but would be good to see if any other members out there like to tweak with the settings could be interesting to see what figures people are pulling, and what monitoring tools are being used just incase theres some I've been missing lol.

Back to top Go down

Re: Overclockers/Overclocking

Post  Localtje on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:41 am

First of all if you are going to overclock make sure you got an decent cooler Smile

Most decent mainboards got an " A.I. tweaker" in the bios or on the driver/app disc . This gives most ppl an decent boost of their system. ( like 5 till 10% )

If u want some more tweaking u need to understand core volt's , mem settings ect.

I got mine system ( core i7 920 running @ 3,6Ghz ( standard 2,66 Ghz ) ) I tweaked the volt setting also for mine graphic cards ( 2x ATI 5870 in crossfire ) and memory.

If i play warcraft @ 1920 - 1600 at full option i get around 260 - 280 FPS in an open world. Dalaran gives me around 95 PFS an 25 mans raid are around 80-85 FPS Smile

Yes i'm a geek Razz
Localtje
Gone, but not forgotten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:48 am

Not bad, I've got my i7 920 running at 3.8ghz (35ish idle temps, 55 for full load) with a Corsair H50 keeping it nice and cool. Going to try out some new thermal paste soon see if I can squeeze a few more celsius out of it. I've got my i7 at 3.8ghz on a voltage of 1.2 (down from the stock 1.28v) which I'm really liking. More performance for less volts is great, I can't get a steady 4ghz+ OC until I push the 1.34v mark so I'm content with what I've got.

Whats your QPI and Uncore speeds? Got my QPI at 6.4GT/s and my uncore clock at 4200Mhz yesterday up from 3700. The problem I have is my 5750 is a terrible overclocker, I'm already looking to offload it and replace it with a 460 from Nvidia or maybe a 5850/70 myself.

I can get so wrapped up in playing with my settings, I'm trying to work tweaking the other RAM settings at the moment, got it at 7-8-7-20 which is good just trying to bring down some of the other speeds just because I want it better even though its just miniscule upgrades to performance lol.

I was quite surprised my Motherboard doesn't differentiate between AI Tweaker and the fullblown overclocking, its very limited initially but it sort of opens up into the whole thing if you change an option at the top lol. I'm always rolling at 60 - 70 FPS in raids, but yea what temps does your i7 put out and what cooler you got on it?

Back to top Go down

Post  Localtje on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:54 am

6.4GT/s is impressive Smile nice job on that !

I got an Zalman proc-cooler ( 9700 if im correct ) ( decent brand / nice design an quiet )
Localtje
Gone, but not forgotten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:02 am

The 920 comes with like 4.8GT/s as standard I think, I've been really desperate to get it up beyond 7 for a while, but I don't want to push voltages too much - well the QPI voltage is still at the minimum level, need quite a big case to house those don't you? I went with an antec 300 which I now regret, only on the basis that I can't have my cables as tidy as I would have liked lol. I've got 2 silent eagles (2000rpm) on my H50 which really are quiet. However the top fan in the case which was from Antec is quite noisy, I might see about replacing it someday but theres no real need right now. The H70 has come out recently although not been able to find too much on it about the performance it brings.

A fan cooler probably would have done me better though, the H50 is better at keeping max temperatures down, prime 95's full load only gets temps to 55 unless its a really hot, stuffy day but its not as good at cooling as fans at the level it runs at usually. Playing Mass Effect 2, WoW and FM only get me to about 40% CPU usage lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Localtje on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:12 am

I got an Lian-LI skytower for i think like 7 years orso Smile

I need the space because i got 6 hhd's in hdd bracket an got mine 2 ssd's mounted in the 3,5" floppy bracked's

Also mounted 6 extra case fans for the airflow Smile

Temp of mine cpu are like 75-80 stressed and around 30-35 idle.

For some extra cpu boost try to disable intel speedstep in the bios Smile
Localtje
Gone, but not forgotten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:29 am

It's already done, I've still got 1 slot for another fan in the case, going to buy a couple more of the silent eagles since they really shift some air I've currently only got 2 HDD's but looking to add a third soon, and the 4th after that will be an SSD. Ideally I'd like to get my hands on an Antec 1200 case, amazing airflow and cooling capacity in those.

Back to top Go down

Post  Subeam on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:04 am

I'm more of a "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" - kinda person. And guess what? My pc never overheated! (silly Shiatan Razz)
Subeam
Gone, but not forgotten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Localtje on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 am

u dont work hard enough on it !
Localtje
Gone, but not forgotten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:29 am

Yea, but most computer parts when you buy them are like overweight men who are far from their potential. Overclocking trims the fat and gets them lean and mean again Razz

Just wish I came with overclocking options tbh.

Back to top Go down

Post  Localtje on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:06 am

freeze your Wow-account Razz
Localtje
Gone, but not forgotten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:22 am

That might help, I'm getting there slowly anyway, having some equipment in your room either side of the PC means its really hard to find excuses not to do some exercising lol Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:12 am

On another note, I'm really thinking women should avoid this thread altogether Razz I don't want angry women blaming me they melted their PC because of something I said and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the women of eternals don't know how to use computers lol. Charmed failed with her Vent so that's another one added to the list lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Subeam on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:49 am

Santy wrote:On another note, I'm really thinking women should avoid this thread altogether Razz I don't want angry women blaming me they melted their PC because of something I said and I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the women of eternals don't know how to use computers lol. Charmed failed with her Vent so that's another one added to the list lol.

I agree (speaking for myself) with you there, Santy! Say Localtje, wanna come over for a cup of coffee? ^^
Subeam
Gone, but not forgotten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Localtje on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 pm

sure Wink
Localtje
Gone, but not forgotten

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:43 am

Inviting strange men over for coffee, then asking to look at things under her desk no doubt... We may never see localtje again Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:07 am

My PC is being a complete bastard to me today Sad

Decided to try and push my 920 harder, and I overclock mine in D.O.C.P. mode because it keeps the ratios intact for you, saves having to do it in your head type thing. Anyway, bump up the BCLK frequency a bit, and as a consequence the UCLK goes up, fine I thought if theres any problems a bit more voltage will correct it.

However, the UCLK is too fast for the processor now, so I'm having to dabble with the delay loops in picoseconds, as well as with the amps to find what will let me keep this overclock stable. I'm so far through 13 of 900 potential combinations (15 x 15 x 4) lol. When it does come on its lightning fast now, there is a notable increase over before with loading times and whatnot just having to debate whether this is worth it or not lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Oghunter on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:49 am

Guys, I've heard that overclocking is in fact quite dangerous, but it's quite usefull if done right, so any chance one of you could help me to overclock safely? if that's even possible xD
I'd love having some more fps

Oghunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:59 am

Overclocking is incredibly dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Before you can even consider starting you need an improved fan or a water cooling system (odds are the one that came with your PC is stock and no good for overclocking), if you don't know about that then its really unadvisable. You need to know your RAM, processor, GPU and how to work your way around a BIOS - you need to have an understanding of the maths and ratios behind it all which need to be maintained as you increase in one area and you need to factor in various voltages to compensate the increased performance.

You need some programs like RealTemp and Prime95, the first shows you the temperature of your processor cores, the latter stress tests them to 100% usage and shows how hot under a full load your processor will get. It will also help root out blue screen crashes which are common if you overclock wrong.

If you know your motherboard and all the other components you can probably find quite decent guides and what figures are attainable under what circumstances. However, you should definitely practice with small overclocks on a cheap system first to learn your way around. Last thing you want to do is overclock your i5 or i7 to 4Ghz and have decided to pump 1.5v through it because it seemed like the right amount and then because your cooler isnt good enough half an hour later your processor pops. Everything should always be taken up in small increments until stable, voltages and amps especially.

Back to top Go down

Post  Oghunter on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:14 pm

Hmm, in that case, I might just stay off it all xD
Any chance you know if computer technicians who own shops and fix broken pc's and stuff can do all that? If so, I might just bring my pc in there, have them install a better cooler, might even get a new motherboard so i can put some more RAM in there, etc, etc, in able 2 get my pc as good as possible, and if there's still some room for improvement, I might just aswell ask them if they can fix the overclocking, so it gets even better xD
Think that is a good idea?

Oghunter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top