Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» hello all
What you guys think (nerdy talk) EmptySun Jan 15, 2023 12:25 pm by Tyrex

» Members Forum Access
What you guys think (nerdy talk) EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 6:14 pm by Ronab

» Holy Paladin (PPVKNIG)
What you guys think (nerdy talk) EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 2:36 am by Guest

» Hunter MM Application.. Again :P (Accepted)
What you guys think (nerdy talk) EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 8:29 am by Shadowhit

» Funny/good/lollong vids
What you guys think (nerdy talk) EmptyWed Nov 24, 2010 11:54 am by Kashah

» Eyara Discipline priest (Accepted)
What you guys think (nerdy talk) EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:48 pm by Eyara

» manelin [shadow/Holy Priest] (Declined)
What you guys think (nerdy talk) EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 5:53 am by Rigsby

» Non WoW related screens
What you guys think (nerdy talk) EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:13 am by Guest

» Zabineth (shadow priest) (Accepted)
What you guys think (nerdy talk) EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 7:15 am by Rigsby

Poll

Remove the forums we dont ever use?

What you guys think (nerdy talk) Vote_lcap60%What you guys think (nerdy talk) Vote_rcap 60% [ 6 ]
What you guys think (nerdy talk) Vote_lcap40%What you guys think (nerdy talk) Vote_rcap 40% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 10

What you guys think (nerdy talk)

+5
Tyrex
Localtje
Curzed
Trumpetka
Shiatan
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What you guys think (nerdy talk) Empty What you guys think (nerdy talk)

Post  Guest Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:17 pm

So like i cant decide which to buy this is what ive gotten down to

hmmmm.... i like the gateway i think its pretty good for playing wow and just surfing the net. Im going to be using it as my main machine also so i think its fine but im not enteirly sure and need a second opinion

My budgets 900 bucks

Which would you pick?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101222 - Gateway

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220732 - Asus

Back to top Go down

What you guys think (nerdy talk) Empty Re: What you guys think (nerdy talk)

Post  Shiatan Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Go for the gateway it's card is a wee bit better for gaming and to get the most of your ram make sure you can upgrade to win7 64 bit
Shiatan
Shiatan
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Shiatan wrote:Go for the gateway it's card is a wee bit better for gaming and to get the most of your ram make sure you can upgrade to win7 64 bit

yeah was gonna buy my own copy of windows 7 its only 100 bucks thought be good to get myself my own copy :p

Thanks for feedback Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Trumpetka Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:45 pm

Every time I see laptop I cry.

Half performance for double price compared to desktop.
Less comfort.
Slow HDD.

Unless you are moving your computer 3 times per week, why?
Trumpetka
Trumpetka
Eternals Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Curzed Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:10 am

i play on a laptop.

BOOYA
Curzed
Curzed
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Localtje Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:16 am

pick Gateway for specs
pick Asus for the Brand Razz

Hard decission hmmmmmmm pick Gateway Smile
Localtje
Localtje
Gone, but not forgotten

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:56 am

If its at all possible, get a desktop, then buy a cheap laptop for when you're out and about lol. Both the HDD's are on the slow side at 5400RPM, out of the two I'd go for the gateway, bigger screen, better resolution. Doesn't state whether the RAM is dual channel or not, but dual channel is only a slight performance increase at the moment. The hard drive, and most likely motherboard will really throttle performance though.

But yea, buy the gateway, then cry realising you probably could have gotten an i7 and better performance if you'd had a desktop - its what I would do (and what I did do when I last bought a laptop pretty much lol).

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyrex Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:10 am

asus over gateway? for/cons,?

Tyrex
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmediam Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:03 am

Trumpetka wrote:Every time I see laptop I cry.

Also when you see this one Razz
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-alienware-m17x/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-alienware-m17x&s=dhs&cs=19&~ck=mn
Charmediam
Charmediam
Eternals Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:18 am

Yea, but with the ASUS the 90's will be calling for its resolution back... Just been doing a bit of reading up on some of the components inside too... it's not too promising for that price.

I'm not sure how much an i5 costs by itself at retail in dollars, but you're being fleeced for the fact it has an i5 inside. That particular i5 isn't even a quad core its a dual core, with 4 processing threads:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43537

Also its data transfer rate is pretty poor at 2.5GT/s, it only supports 1066Mhz RAM at best meaning your 4GB whilst will be fast is already bordering on outdated in terms of RAM speeds (yours is 1066Mhz in that system). With the gateway, and likely with the asus too your graphics cards performance will be throttled. The 5650 memory clock is 800Mhz, and the processor only supports 500 - 766Mhz from the figures I can see.

With that laptop you're paying through the nose for the little i5 label that comes with it, even though you're getting a low-end i5.

There's no doubting it can play WoW right now, but with Cataclysm there will be more updates and whatnot and if its anything like Wotlk was, I had to upgrade my old PC then to handle the game again I wasn't on the threshold as I always had decent (around 30) FPS in TBC and stuff.

My advice would be that if you need a laptop then save up a bit more, get a desktop for WoW (doesn't need to be anything extreme you can probably get a good i5 system which isn't limited for about $600/700) and then spend the rest on a netbook for when out and about. If you don't need a laptop, get an i7, a 5850 gfx card some tri-channel RAM and laugh at all the peasants as you have an epic system that will actually glow purple Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:32 am

Charmediam wrote:
Trumpetka wrote:Every time I see laptop I cry.

Also when you see this one Razz
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-alienware-m17x/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-alienware-m17x&s=dhs&cs=19&~ck=mn

Not only would I cry at seeing that one, but I'd also want to pick up a shotgun and shoot down anyone associated with Dell for it. It's standard price with an i5 520M in is $1800, which is barely any better than the one in the laptops posted up by Nephlyte. The only decent thing in it is the 5850 gfx card, which since its a laptop you'll struggle to get 100% from anyway. You still can't get RAM above 1066Mhz (unless you go with the higher priced cores), fortunately you actually get a $40 HDD in there, not a $20 one like in Nephs. However, since its alienware looking at the cost of everything... you're probably paying $125 - $150 for that $40 HDD.

To actually get that PC up to scratch to be just scraping half decent (for it to actually be a gaming laptop and get a decent resolution) with RAM set up in an apparent single, or dual channel only configuration you need to spend $2,850 at the least.

I hope your post was meant to reinforce trumps point and not be contradictory Charm Razz

Also to actually get the proper cover a laptop needs (you should get at least 3 years since they are often poorly built in terms of airflow and break after 12 months due to overheating with that much stuff inside) you're looking at being much closer to $3,500.

Could get a much better desktop for a third of the price.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Well im getting a laptop cause im sending my Desktop to england since im moving back in january Very Happy so i need a laptop to move with

but thankyou all for ur posts

Back to top Go down

Post  Itsybitsy Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:48 pm

You should go for this one:

What you guys think (nerdy talk) 102645016.lg
Itsybitsy
Itsybitsy
Eternals Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Itsybitsy wrote:You should go for this one:

What you guys think (nerdy talk) 102645016.lg

cute but i dont even think i can afford that one :p

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:24 pm

Well in that case you should definitely shop around more, there isn't an awful lot of difference between i3's and i5's and you can probably save a fair bit of money for yourself. If you have a good desktop waiting for you at home when you get back or can upgrade it anyway - consider getting a refurb or something it still comes with a guarantee and should be discounted. I suppose I just hate to see someone paying so much for relatively so little lol.

Whichever laptop you go with though, I would suggest getting a cooling pad too - they usually aren't too much and can help keep the system cool and running better.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:07 am

Santy wrote:Well in that case you should definitely shop around more, there isn't an awful lot of difference between i3's and i5's and you can probably save a fair bit of money for yourself. If you have a good desktop waiting for you at home when you get back or can upgrade it anyway - consider getting a refurb or something it still comes with a guarantee and should be discounted. I suppose I just hate to see someone paying so much for relatively so little lol.

Whichever laptop you go with though, I would suggest getting a cooling pad too - they usually aren't too much and can help keep the system cool and running better.

yeah i already went out and looked around they wanted to offer me the same specs for 966 at one store and another one for 1.3k another for same specs.. this was best i could come up wtih and i did buy a cooling stand for it already Smile

My desktop is what im currently playing on - im going to be shipping it in peices apart from case and Powersupply and im moving in with a very good friend of mine - atm he doesnt have the room for me to sent up my Desktop - i also gotta go get a case and Monitor for it so its why im looking for a laptop i can play here for the rest of my stay and then i can use when i get over. I understand what ur meaning though i payed 500 bucks for my machine atm and i built it myself. Its pretty pro imo :p im really proud of it but all in all Sad( i need to get a laptop very soon since i have a deadline and i need to ship ma maching off.

I do appreciat your help and explaining - ill still keep looking but i think so far this is the best.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyrex Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:12 am

santy, it seems u are pretty into this pc stuff, can u maybe try link so fair labtop, in that price range Smile

Tyrex
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:41 am

Well it depends, if this machine is just for WoW, an older intel core duo processor or AMD processor (they're not much older they just haven't replaced the FSB) because with an iX core the main thing you are paying for is the fact that they have replaced the FSB with something faster, at laptop level however the difference will be negligible.

The more specific you are about what you want it for, and then I'll do my best to have a nose around and get some comparisons. I've seen a laptop with a pretty decent gfx card (ample for WoW anyway I believe and quite similar to the HD 5650) and it comes in at $664 dollars (according to the exchange rate), its only DDR2 RAM, but is 4GB at 800Mhz, which is close to DDR and laptops don't seem to be putting it in dual channel (they usually sing and shout about it if they are lol) and its a dual core.

Depending on what you do with your system, then it can be gauged more on what you need.

Back to top Go down

Post  Curzed Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:58 am

Santy wrote:Well it depends, if this machine is just for WoW, an older intel core duo processor or AMD processor (they're not much older they just haven't replaced the FSB) because with an iX core the main thing you are paying for is the fact that they have replaced the FSB with something faster, at laptop level however the difference will be negligible.

The more specific you are about what you want it for, and then I'll do my best to have a nose around and get some comparisons. I've seen a laptop with a pretty decent gfx card (ample for WoW anyway I believe and quite similar to the HD 5650) and it comes in at $664 dollars (according to the exchange rate), its only DDR2 RAM, but is 4GB at 800Mhz, which is close to DDR and laptops don't seem to be putting it in dual channel (they usually sing and shout about it if they are lol) and its a dual core.

now you're just being silly
Curzed
Curzed
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Hykos Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:14 am

You're all fucking geeks.

And I say this from my super-performing Dell Laptop, which cost no where near 4-figures ...
Hykos
Hykos
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Léonál Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:42 am

Hykos wrote:You're all fucking geeks.

And I say this from my super-performing Dell Laptop, which cost no where near 4-figures ...

And has approx 3fps in ICC right? ;>

Léonál
Eternals Member

http://www.dedipower.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Curzed wrote:
Santy wrote:Well it depends, if this machine is just for WoW, an older intel core duo processor or AMD processor (they're not much older they just haven't replaced the FSB) because with an iX core the main thing you are paying for is the fact that they have replaced the FSB with something faster, at laptop level however the difference will be negligible.

now you're just being silly

How exactly am I being silly? WoW doesn't need an AMD X6, 12 GB of DDR3 RAM at 2000Mhz and crossfired 5850's to run smoothly. Until I melted my gfx card I got 30 FPS in raids with a dual core 1.8ghz processor, 4GB of DDR2 RAM at less than 800Mhz and an Nvidia 9800GT. Like I said, it depends largely on what Nephlyte is looking for from the new laptop, if she also wants to play Mass Effect 2 and run a truckload of programs then she'll need more.

Once theres more of a scope for what to do with it I'll post up on some other forums specifying what she wants to use it for and if they know what set-up is ideal in terms of value for money.

Also Hykos, whats the spec and how much did it cost? If its from Dell unless you got it during an offer it may well struggle to be a good deal, based on some of their recent pricing especially of the alienware brand you'd think they shared business plans with activision lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Curzed Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:20 pm

you're being silly cause u're just saying big words to impress us
Curzed
Curzed
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:26 pm

The topic does state nerdy talk, if you're offended by PC jargon you should have gathered this thread was going to contain some lol. tongue

There's not a great many subjects I can talk about with a fair bit of insight this is one of them lol. Cry with your tiny e-peen in the corner lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Hykos wrote:You're all fucking geeks.

have u not had any prblems? all i hear is there a massive head ach Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next